- Acceptance of the positive side of conflict
- Peaceful expression of conflict in the neighborhood
- Individual and community acceptance of responsibility for conflict
- Participatory resolution of conflict
- Neighborhood diversity and understanding of differences
RECOURSE was conceived in the spring of 1991, when mediators Mary Brake and Jay Stewart brought their ideas to Sonoma County Legal Services Foundation. Together with Toni Novak, Foundation Director, they began to build support for a community mediation center for Sonoma County. In 1992 the first volunteers were trained. In 1996 RECOURSE received 501c(3) non-profit status.